Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction
Alias Smith and Jones Fun and Fanfiction

A site for all kinds of fun for fans of Alias Smith and Jones

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share | 

What made you start writing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tashmina

PostSubject: What made you start writing   Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:13 pm

Hi Everyone,

I suppose this is a good time to ask everyone how long they'd been lurking and why they made the move from lurking to posting?

For me I lurked for at least three years (possibly nearer four) and mustered the courage to post for a story I particularly enjoyed. I suppose I thought the stories were so good they wouldn't be interested in my opinion. Boy was I wrong!

Anyway, the bunny for my first story just kept biting me on the leg until I eventually plucked up the nerve to post, but I wondered how long you all took and what was your process?

Back to top Go down
Remuda

PostSubject: Re: What made you start writing   Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:38 pm

Great question, Tashmina!

I might have lurked for a day before joining my first ASJ board and posted my first story four days later in response to a story challenge.  Since I'd been around fandoms before, I didn't see any need to hesitate in terms of joining in.

As for writing, it's been my main form of expression since I could remember, in many genres. Although I still have some of my early poetry efforts, the stories from when I was a kid are long gone.
Back to top Go down
Tashmina

PostSubject: What made you start writing   Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:51 pm

What a great answer, Remuda. I do hope we can see them all on here? It sounds like a fantastic back catalogue.study 
Back to top Go down
RosieAnnieUSA

PostSubject: Re: What made you start writing   Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:52 pm

I lurked for probably two, three years. I envied all the camaraderie and support I saw on the boards, and I wanted to play too, but was intimidated by all the talent I saw. I think it was a combination of three things that made me jump in at last.

1) I'd really been wanting to.

2) I figured, what's the worst that would happen if I tried, and I stunk up the board? I'm working under a nom de plume anyway. It's not like people wouldn't sit next to me on the bus because I submitted a bad story. I could always go back to lurking.

3) A really long, cold week of weather in February that discouraged me from going outdoors at all. I had plenty of time to try hashing out a story.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lunartidemassageandangeltherapy.com
riders57

PostSubject: Re: What made you start writing   Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:03 pm

I lurked for about eight months after discovering the sites. I'd been thinking about getting back into writing (after a 40 year hiatus or so) somehow and had just rediscovered ASJ and found it still held up over time. Also, I really needed a diversion from real life at that point.

So I lurked but finally jumped in and committed by joining, but still unsure I'd ever submit something I'd written for public scrutiny.

The next month (two years ago this September), the monthly prompt set a bunny to dancing a fandango on my head until I wrote it down and, with trembling hands, submitted it. After the first one, the bug kind of stuck.
Back to top Go down
Keays

PostSubject: Re: What made you start writing   Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:21 pm

I suppose I lurked for about two months and was reading everything I could find. I never forgot about Peter or ASJ but I was very late coming to computers and then I was so busy trying to make a living after my marriage ended that it never occurred to me to look on-line for anything ASJ related. I thought I was the only one who loved Peter and remembered the show!

Then one day....my ex gave me the DVD set of ASJ and I so enjoyed watching them again (I even watched the RD episodes!) that I thought I might just check on-line and see if anything was there. WELL! The first site I came upon was BJ's and I began lurking.

I always enjoyed writing. Actually when I was 13 I used to record the ASJ episodes and then write them all down word for word and tell the story like I was writing a book. It's how I learned to type! Then of course collage and marriage etc took over and my other creative drives ie; drawing, painting, sculpting took over from writing and I went for about 30 years without doing any serious writing at all.

I was just beginning to feel that it would be nice to get back into it again but I couldn't think of what to write about. Then I found the fanfiction sites and that problem got solved.

I wrote my first story 'Karma-Lou' because I know horses very well, in fact they are very much a valued part of my life, and it always irked me to see horses used simply as vehicles in westerns. Rarely were they given any real personality or character. They always made it seem as though the horses just automatically did what they were suppose to do and there was no brain between the ears. I would love to see some of the out-takes from films caused by the horses showing a little bit of independence.

Anyway, I thought I would write a story about a horse that wasn't so complacent and had a very definite mind of her own. I put her with Heyes because, well Heyes just looks so drop dead gorgeous on horseback, actually he looks drop dead gorgeous anywhere, but anyways....Peter was such a good rider and I wanted to challenge his abilities a little bit. So now, he and Karma are inseparable, until one of them gets hauled off to prison of course, but that's a separate story!
Back to top Go down
hannaheyes

PostSubject: Re: What made you start writing   Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:34 pm

I don't really know how long I lurked. It was quite a while. I've been writing ever since I was little but was always afraid to let anyone read any of my stuff. Let me tell you, was I ever nervous the first time I decided to post a story! It took me forever and a day to get up the courage to do it. When I finally did and received some good feedback on it, I was SO relieved. I may not be the best writer in the world, but I love doing it. And when I know someone enjoyed it, that's all the better. I still get nervous posting anything, even comments. But I love being involved in the ASJ online community Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Silverkelpie

PostSubject: Re: What made you start writing   Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:49 pm

I used to have a very busy life with the internet playing no part in my down-time. A serious accident gave me some enforced bum time and I started coasting the net looking for entertainment. Once I'd done my family tree, or as much as I could before I lost them in the mists of time and knitted several jumpers, I caught up on DVDs and ASJ was amongst those provided. I then remembered how much I enjoyed the series when I young. I looked up stories, and when I ran out, I had a go myself.

I'm now reposting those and goodness, they need a lot of corrections! I have learned a lot doing this.
Back to top Go down
InsideOutlaw

PostSubject: Re: What made you start writing   Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:08 pm

I was fooling around online one day and keyed in Alias Smith and Jones hoping to find old episodes. I was so surprised to find a lot of fan fiction for a show I had loved forty years ago. Obviously, I wasn't alone. I lurked for about a year and read everything I could find. About a year ago, I had a story pop into my head (it ended up being my story, Lindy) and I started to write it down.

The writer's forum intrigued me and I watched as others bravely posted their own stories. One prompt pushed me to try to post my own and I've been writing regularly since then. It is definitely addictive!
Back to top Go down
thewheatman

PostSubject: Re: What made you start writing   Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:40 pm

I've been a lurker for since 2005. I've wanted to write a story but just can't bring myself to write anything I would post. Perhaps this site will help me get up the gourage to complete a story and post it for you to read.verysick 
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What made you start writing   Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:14 pm

thewheatman - I think we can help you. Post in the looking for a Beta thread and you can find someone experienced to help you polish your story in private. You can then post it when you're happy with it. We've all taken that first step and know how nerve-wracking it can be. You've certainly chosen a friendly and supportive place to start.

Your Mysterious Admin Person

Ghost 
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.forumotion.ca
Keays

PostSubject: Re: What made you start writing   Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:27 am

Thewheatman; I second what MAD says! We've all been there and know how nerve-wracking it is to get that first post out. But once you've done it, you'll never turn back! This is a good and supportive group and going through a beta first can help you to feel more confident if you're still not sure about it. We are all just here to have fun and enjoy our passion for the boys and the show!
Back to top Go down
Niekx

PostSubject: Re: What made you start writing   Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:43 pm

I think I re-discovered ASJ on the web in the 90ties (end of it). I just owned my first computer and I was fascinated with all the stuff I could find with just one mouse-click in stead off spending a day in a library.

In current days you can find almost anything on the web, which drives people close to me crazy sometimes. For I tend to look up (google) almost everything I used to wonder about in the past (example: Which country awards the the Nobel prices? People kept saying that the prices are from Norway, but why then does the King of Sweden perform the ceremony? Bugged me for years...try it for yourself if you do not know the answer already ;-) I am sidetracking here...pardon me...

I started reading all ASJ fanfiction stories I could get my hands on about two years ago, when I was unable to play my clarinet for a while. I got hooked and discovered the forum, lurked around a bit first and took the plunge to join last year. After gentle coaching from my beta-reader I posted my first two challenge stories, which was both scary and exciting to do.

I had never written a story before, always poems and short "thoughts" as I call them and always in Dutch. With this forum and writing stories I hope to improve my English vocabulary. With the house move out of the way, I can now give writing another go. My goal is at least one story in 2013!
Lets see shall we?heat
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What made you start writing   Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Hi Niekx,

If you want to give it a go, there's still time in September and the topic is 'Storm.' I happen to know your ex-beta is sitting poised over her keyboard waiting for your story challenge...

Your Mysterious Admin Person

Ghost 
Back to top Go down
http://aliassmithandjones.forumotion.ca
Niekx

PostSubject: Re: What made you start writing   Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Then I am seriously considering it! What a loyal beta I have, waiting a full 9 months already.
climb bottle 
Back to top Go down

What made you start writing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next